EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Friday, May 14, 2010

POTTING BENCH MADE FROM SHIPPING PALLETS

HELLO & welcome to Garden Daddy here at the urban farm! I wanted to share with you something I made for use here at the garden home. It is a potting bench that one can stand up and work on re-potting or planting seeds into flats or anything one must do when working on potting or seeding into containers, etc. I saw the idea, though somewhat different, on a website and took the general idea and ran on with it, making it into something I could make and use here. I got it painted today with some exterior grade glossy brown paint and have it close to my compost bay, all set and ready to use to re-pot plants or just work on general garden projects. I have hung my spade and watering sprayers and nozzles on it and have a few pots already stored in the bottom shelf area.
I hope this gives you some ideas of what you can do with usable recyclables, keeping more product from your local landfills. Here is my result and I hope you can see my vision here. I still plan to make a garden seat from two more pallets but time has not allowed that project yet. I have been overwhelmed with community garden things this week and between my yard, my vegetable garden, flower beds & chicken raising here at the urban farm and then making several trips over to Alamo, TN to retrieve some wheat straw for the Jackson Community Garden site I oversee and for another garden site that is making raised layered beds I have not had time to start anything else new this week.

Here is a load of the wet wheat straw I retrieved for the community gardens. It had to be broken up into pieces of the bales due to the additional weight from being saturated from recent flooding we had here in Tennessee. But it will certainly work on the projects we are doing where it will be used as mulch between the vegetable rows for weed prevention and moisture control. This wheat straw was donated free of charge for use in the community gardens or any garden site, private or public, just for the getting. Thanks to the folks who have given it but I am sorry your hay was ruined in the flooding but your loss is our gain for another good use and
re-purpose.
I leave you today with our ongoing gardening affirmation here at the garden home: "URBAN FARMING: ONE EGG AT A TIME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment