EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Saturday, February 27, 2010

GOOD IDEA FOR "LASAGNA GARDENING" FROM THE MASTER GARDENERS

HELLO from your Garden Daddy here at the garden home! While attending and helping present today at the 2010 W. TN Home, Lawn & Garden Show here in Jackson, TN, I came upon some information that was in a presentation yesterday about Lasagna Gardening. No, not growing food that goes in a vegetable lasagna but it means the "style" in which you actually plan & plant your garden plot. I am going to attach it here for your usage and your enjoyment


If you click on the pages above you will open them in a larger window for readability and may feel free to copy at your discretion. You might find this NO TILL approach to gardening a good idea for those of you either with limited physical ability to till or dig large plots at a time or just for the sheer savings it gives, in that one can actually do what I call live, real time composting instead of waiting about a year on your compost pile to work off to usable product. One might find this to work in many cases and in my case this is a lot of what I am doing in my veggie patch as I even write this post. My vegetable patch is currently under about 8" of leaves, pine straw and grass clippings that I applied all last fall after clearing off the garden area and removing the stakes, fencing, etc., in the garden area. I applied about one half of my entire yard of leaves and all of my pine straw from last fall along with late season grass clippings to this area and what I intend to do is use that area under this composting plot by opening up areas large enough to plant my tomatoes in first on the perimeter of the garden area. Then I will rake back some areas into rows and work my plants and seeds into these spots and then pull the straw, etc. back up around the young plants, using this not only as a natural weed block but as the material rots and makes itself back into soil again as it breaks down into usable, soluble material I will redress as needed with other organic material or possibly artificial fertilizers or go revisit my friend that has horses and cattle in Friendship, TN for a truck load of product.
Talking about the W. TN Home, Lawn & Garden Show this weekend here in Jackson, I was a little disappointed in the booths that were represented this year. It seems it has gone mostly toward landscapers who bring in lots of rock and waterworks, etc. and a few home improvement folks and a few plant/tree vendors. Not much of anything else like when I first attended one of these in 2007. I did not see our local utility company, Jackson Energy Authority, did not as far as I could see, have a booth. That was disappointing as I was hoping to see them present their composting and mulching products I have mentioned before here in these postings. Yes, a little disappointing!
But I was able to locate some fruit trees at a very good price for my middle brother, 12 fruit trees & 2-free dogwood trees from my MG's. He plans to make his property into a feeding lot for his wife and himself, providing fruit from spring thaw thru frost I think is his/their plan.
I will leave you then today, this 27th day of February (I cannot believe tomorrow is the last day of this month already now) with our ongoing gardening affirmation: "GARDENING: ONE YARD AT A TIME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment