EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Monday, March 1, 2010

ANOTHER BLAST FROM THE PAST HERE AT THE GARDEN HOME

HELLO from your Garden Daddy here at the garden home! Today I received another email from some of the previous resident-owners with a photo of my living room area from back in the 1950's. I was and am always thrilled to receive information that helps me know more about this garden home, the In's & Outs, the who-what-when-where of the past lives here in this wonder place. This is one of the daughters of a previous owner who lived here from about 1939 till late in the 1980's.


I know this is really some information not necessarily about gardening but for you followers who have been with me from the beginning & through some of the garden home rehab, I felt you might like to see this HUGE "ivy" wallpaper going up behind the staircase back in the 1950's that no longer exist here. I love getting information like this as I have said. WHAT A GREAT PHOTOGRAPH! For some reason, I am reminded of "Breakfast At Tiffany's" with this dress. The ladder back chair in the background reminds me of one my own mother had in the 1960's. You might also notice in the middle-bottom of the photo that there is an old 45-record player with the lid up, sitting on the staircase bottom step as it wraps around the base of the case. I had been told about the many times the furniture was moved around for the neighborhood "girls" to have room to dance. Can you not just see this great dress twirling around the living room in those heals, girls dancing with each other like they used to and having just too much fun.
I have added a photo here above of what this same corner looks like now, heading up the stairs in front of these very same windows. This was during this past Christmas season of course but the table and area are the same and not much else is different still today, sans Christmas. No wallpaper, no sheers and valances at the windows. No side chair with table and lamp here but my lovely dinner set. I know how wonderful that room must have been with all the family and children around and the love that was shared in this room, really for the entire neighborhood. In a way, I feel I am carrying on THEIR traditions of keeping this community a little together. In my own small, humble way I try to connect with folks in my neighborhood area and keep them informed of the goings on in the community and help keep in touch with several elderly in the vicinity of my home and block.
I also see in the background, against the staircase & below the banister, what looks like a fold-down table, maybe a mahogany Duncan Phyfe drop leaf table, maybe a game table but looks like from what I can see of it and your Garden Daddy will get more information and let you know on future postings.
So with this I leave you today as always with thoughts of spring in the air and hopes for a wonderful and calm incoming season...you know the saying...March, in like a lamb out like a lion, or vice-versa...so here we are today on March 1st, 2010, and it was cool and cloudy but very calm so I FEAR that we will get the "Vice-Versa" this year! I send you on your "Marching-way" with our ongoing gardening affirmation in mind: "GARDENING: ONE YARD AT A TIME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment