EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Tuesday, March 23, 2010

GARDEN DADDY GIVES YOU HIS "FAV-5" VEGGIES FOR THE BACKYARD GARDEN

HELLO from your Garden Daddy here in the garden home! I thought I would give you this Garden Daddy's best of MY best for your backyard vegetable patch. Most all these you know as regular garden staples and you already eat probably now anyway, but I am working on my "FAV-5's" in all categories for your own home gardening pleasure.
*Tomato: JET STAR, BETTER BOY, CELEBRITY & RUTGERS.
(I plant a variety - last summer I had 37-plants, produced over 1200 fruit and was eating tomatoes BEFORE July 4Th!)
*Purple Hull Peas
*Eggplant
*Yellow Summer (crook neck) Squash
*Peppers: "Big Bertha" (Bell), Hungarian Yellow Sweet (Banana), Gypsy (Banana)
In coming sessions I will discuss and give you my "FAV-5's" of herbs and beyond...shrubs, flowers, perennials, etc. I hope this helps guide you somehow. I have included above the things I always have in my vegetable patch. I know this is not very much but this is a basic, all around grouping in that with small spaces and sometimes even using large pots sitting on my deck on the back of the house or even set around at the front of the garden one can get some sense of variety of flavors, groups of veggies and I really grew enough last year I had a good bit I put in my freezer from tomato soup mix (some pre-seasoned for spaghetti sauce and some not seasoned) to slicing my squash and laying it on a cookie sheet in the freezer till solid then "zip-lock" them into freezer bags and even tried to dry some herbs.
I will leave you now as the rain has headed out of hear last night and clear, warm & sunny skies have set in today and the garden home is crying for attention from its' Garden Daddy! I will leave you today with our ongoing gardening affirmation: "GARDENING: ONE YARD AT A TIME!"

2 comments:

  1. Hello Garden Daddy,
    I'm taking your advice on what to plant, but I need more help. I have, as you know, created a new mini-garden planter on my front porch. I have new top soil in it where I've just started planting some veggies and flowers. My question is what do I need to do for fertilizer? I don't think manure will work and I'd rather stay away from too many chemicals. Any other organic suggestions? Also to keep away pests?
    Thanks Garden Daddy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO, Order of St. Joseph-Franciscan,
    Well you know you can use the "Black Kow" pasturized manure products and not to advertise ANY product again, but any of the "Bayer" products are made to be more environmentally safe.
    Enjoy your wonderful planter as it looks great to this Garden Daddy!
    Remember you daily gardening affirmation: "GARDENING: ONE YARD AT A TIME!"

    ReplyDelete