EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Saturday, August 15, 2009

USE UP ALL THOSE EXTRA SUMMER SQUASH

I have been experimenting with several summer squash casserole recipes in trying to NOT be bored with plain stewed squash & onions. I stopped some projects mid-day today and made one for the oven that I just took out and tasted that really got my attention. I used things from my pantry & garden (fresh picked) on hand today. I will outline the recipe at the end of today's conversation for your records.
Also today I will be working on a few more concrete castings made with smaller leaves this time and made to put on a rod off the ground for the garden home or to pass on to someone. One neighbor today said I should start giving classes on how to make these. I thanked her and said they were mainly for my personal pleasure or gifts for friends and neighbors. She reminded me that "she was a neighbor" so I guess that means she would like one as well. I know several family members who have seen them on this site and have commented they would like one (or several) so it looks like they might be okay after all.
Here is your new squash recipe which I will name "ITALIAN GARDEN CASSEROLE":
Ingredients: 2-large summer squash (cut up), 1-large onion (cut up), 2-tbs. butter/margarine, 1-large green bell pepper, 1-red bell pepper, 1-can "RO-TEL" with lime/cilantro,1-can of English peas, 2-small cans of chicken breast, 1-small can of sliced black olives, 2-cups cooked rice (cook rice using 2-c. water & 2-chicken bouillon cubes & pepper to taste), 1-sleeve of whole wheat crackers - crushed, 2-eggs - beaten, 1/2-c. shredded cheese (you can add more - that is all I had on hand today!), and Parmesan cheese.
Cook (in a large pot) squash, onion, peppers & "RO-TEL" till partially tinder and onion is translucent. Add chicken, olives, cooked rice & mix well. Mix crushed crackers and cheese and add to mixture. Beat eggs with fork in a separate bowl and stir into mixture. Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Butter or "PAM" a large casserole dish or 2-small ones to share with a neighbor. Move mixture to the buttered dish(es) and top with a generous amount of Parmesan cheese and place on foil lined cookie sheet for support. Bake for 50-60 minutes and check. Bake till edges are bubbly and browning. Turn oven off and leave in for about 15-20 more minutes and remove and cool. This is really tasty and a little on the spicy side from the "RO-TEL" & not BORING at all.
So all you garden folk have a good weekend and enjoy this tomato-growing weather. It looks like my plants are getting their second wind and the next bunch coming on are looking better and better every day. I may get some good slicers yet! See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment