EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Friday, April 30, 2010

JACKSON COMMUNITY GARDEN SITE GETS A FACE LIFT & COMPOST BAY

HELLO & welcome to Garden Daddy here at the urban farm! I would like to update you on my site over at the Jackson Community Garden. At the last posting regarding this project, I was somewhat, well I would not say "down" about it but feeling a little frustrated about the way things seemed to be going. So what did I say...but that I would become renewed and get things done or it would not be worth doing for this Garden Daddy. I did just that. I made my case to the "powers that be" in no uncertain terms and got a straight answer and the CORRECT answer at that. I will have a water hook up available on my site from my own meter on that lot. That is all I wanted but could not get a straight answer. I finally said that would be the only way there would be a community garden at that location. When the thought and possibility of losing a good worker who has true interest and drive and the chance of losing a chance to expand the project, I think it hit home and the right decision was made.
On that, I will say this has been a very busy week there and I have put in just at 6-hours this week on that site. Wednesday & Thursday I mowed and weed whacked , picked up branches and rocks and bricks and today I went to The Home Depot and obtained 4-shipping pallets. I took them over to the community garden site and built a large, open compost bay. This is for my gardeners to add their garden refuse, weeds, bad vegetables and any other "natural" product that will turn into good, viable compost over this next year. I will also be adding my own home garden compost from not only the chicken house and run but from any garden refuse my own 3-bay compost bin cannot handle. I have made some photos here to share this weeks work there on that project and update you on that progress. These photos are before mowing and after and of the compost bay.



Our area is reporting storms for the next 4-days. The local news & weather is also telling that we are scheduled to get up to 9-inches, THAT'S RIGHT, 9-INCHES, of rain in the next 3-4 days. I truly hope it is not that much as I might lose some of my potted tomatoes I am holding for this community garden site or even have some in-ground vegetables could not only wash up but end rotting right in the ground as well. So wish us well and I hope it is only a worst case scenario they are reporting on. So this Garden Daddy will leave you today with the our ongoing center city gardening affirmation: "URBAN FARMING: ONE EGG AT A TIME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment